Welcome! I’m Teresa . . . the hen in Hen in a Farmhouse Nest.
I’m a Canadian living in the United States who wishes she lived in England. I inhabit a wonky farmhouse with my husband, Brian, our dogs and parrots and a miniature pig. We also care for alpacas, ducks, chickens, a pair of geese, rabbits, goats, and a couple of barn cats.
Jane Austin once wrote, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort”. I have to agree. While I often daydream of visiting far off places, my heart longs to be at home. Whether I’m inside or outside, I can find plenty to keep me busy and content. I enjoy decorating, renovating (as time and budget allow), gardening, reading, creating, and blogging.
I hope to inspire you with simple farm living as we renovate and decorate our wonky farmhouse; with recipes and projects, and thrift store finds.
So, come on up on my front porch and make yourself comfortable as I offer you a cup of tea and some of Brian’s homemade chocolate chip cookies and let’s chat for awhile.
- barn quilt
- Barn Quilt Trail
- bee hive
- bee keeping
- chicken keeping
- miniature pig
- Queen bee
- Sherwin Williams
- Valentine's Day
- vegetable gardening
Wisconsin State Bird – American Robin
Subscribe via Email
Around the farm . . .
Our Farmhouse Babies
Weather ForecastCurrently68°ClearToday is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday.Tuesday 08/14 10%High 85° / Low 65°Partly CloudyIntervals of clouds and sunshine. High around 85F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.Wednesday 08/15 20%High 79° / Low 63°OvercastCloudy. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 79F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.Thursday 08/16 40%High 75° / Low 61°Chance of a ThunderstormScattered thunderstorms. High near 75F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Thank you for visiting
Tag Archives: beekeeping
I can’t believe it’s already the end of July. It seems that just yesterday we were under cold, heavy snowfall and then skipped spring right into the heat of summer. The last week has been beautiful though with temperatures in … Continue reading
It’s been a whirlwind of activity here around the farm this past week, making up for last week when I was down for the count with a really bad cold and flu. I’m still recovering, but feeling much better. The … Continue reading
The weather was perfect on Sunday to do a full bee hive inspection, so I gathered my equipment and donned my bee suit and off I went. Brian came along to snap some photos and lend support as I’m still … Continue reading
After mustering my courage, and with the weather cooperating nicely (84° and wind 4mph), I decided today was the day to do a full bee hive inspection. I wanted to replace their sugar syrup and check for brood, pollen and … Continue reading
The electricians finally made it out last Thursday to move the generator. I’ve never heard two men whine so much in my life. They stood around for at least ten minutes complaining about moving a 400 pound generator from the … Continue reading
Today is Day 3 after hiving my bees and it was time to check to see if the queen had been released. To my great relief (after an almost sleepless night) she had been and the bees were very busy … Continue reading
Welcome to Random Foto Friday where I share some of my favorite moments from around the farm this week. It was an exciting week as I received my first ever package of bees which I installed on Tuesday. Upon checking … Continue reading
It’s an exciting day on the farm as I picked up and hived my first ever package of bees! Moving methodically and with care, it was a surprisingly easy task. All those sleepless nights were for naught. If you’ve taken … Continue reading
I’m thinking of angels today. Angels are a part of my life and my work as an Angel Communicator and card reader. They are always available to help out when I call upon them. They guided and helped me expand … Continue reading