Welcome! I’m Teresa . . . the hen in Hen in a Farmhouse Nest.
I’m a Canadian living in the United States who wishes she lived in England. I inhabit a wonky farmhouse with my husband, Brian, our dogs and parrots and a miniature pig. We also care for alpacas, ducks, chickens, a pair of geese, rabbits, goats, and a couple of barn cats.
Jane Austin once wrote, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort”. I have to agree. While I often daydream of visiting far off places, my heart longs to be at home. Whether I’m inside or outside, I can find plenty to keep me busy and content. I enjoy decorating, renovating (as time and budget allow), gardening, reading, creating, and blogging.
I hope to inspire you with simple farm living as we renovate and decorate our wonky farmhouse; with recipes and projects, and thrift store finds.
So, come on up on my front porch and make yourself comfortable as I offer you a cup of tea and some of Brian’s homemade chocolate chip cookies and let’s chat for awhile.
- barn quilt
- Barn Quilt Trail
- bee hive
- bee keeping
- chicken keeping
- miniature pig
- Queen bee
- Sherwin Williams
- Valentine's Day
- vegetable gardening
Wisconsin State Bird – American Robin
Subscribe via Email
Around the farm . . .
Our Farmhouse Babies
Weather ForecastCurrently56°ClearToday is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday. Showers ending early tomorrow night.Wednesday 09/26 0%High 60° / Low 43°ClearSunny to partly cloudy. High near 60F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.Thursday 09/27 20%High 64° / Low 44°Mostly CloudyA mix of clouds and sun early, then becoming cloudy later in the day. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 64F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph.Friday 09/28 40%High 54° / Low 33°Chance of RainCloudy with occasional rain showers. High 54F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Thank you for visiting
Category Archives: Bee Keeping
Summer is humming along and before you know it fall will be here. We’re getting some much needed rain here today. It didn’t rain the whole month of July so we’re in sorry need of it. My bees are doing … Continue reading
It’s been a whirlwind of activity here around the farm this past week, making up for last week when I was down for the count with a really bad cold and flu. I’m still recovering, but feeling much better. The … Continue reading
The weather was perfect on Sunday to do a full bee hive inspection, so I gathered my equipment and donned my bee suit and off I went. Brian came along to snap some photos and lend support as I’m still … Continue reading
After mustering my courage, and with the weather cooperating nicely (84° and wind 4mph), I decided today was the day to do a full bee hive inspection. I wanted to replace their sugar syrup and check for brood, pollen and … Continue reading
The electricians finally made it out last Thursday to move the generator. I’ve never heard two men whine so much in my life. They stood around for at least ten minutes complaining about moving a 400 pound generator from the … Continue reading
Today is Day 3 after hiving my bees and it was time to check to see if the queen had been released. To my great relief (after an almost sleepless night) she had been and the bees were very busy … Continue reading
Welcome to Random Foto Friday where I share some of my favorite moments from around the farm this week. It was an exciting week as I received my first ever package of bees which I installed on Tuesday. Upon checking … Continue reading
It’s an exciting day on the farm as I picked up and hived my first ever package of bees! Moving methodically and with care, it was a surprisingly easy task. All those sleepless nights were for naught. If you’ve taken … Continue reading
Last night was filled with lightening flashing through my bedroom windows, thunder and hard rain. I hardly slept. It was also very muggy and I would awaken to a quiet night, open the window, get back into bed and fall … Continue reading