Welcome! I’m Teresa . . . the hen in Hen in a Farmhouse Nest.
I’m a Canadian living in the United States who wishes she lived in England. I inhabit a wonky farmhouse with my husband, Brian, our dogs and parrots and a miniature pig. We also care for alpacas, ducks, chickens, a pair of geese, rabbits, goats, and a couple of barn cats.
Jane Austin once wrote, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort”. I have to agree. While I often daydream of visiting far off places, my heart longs to be at home. Whether I’m inside or outside, I can find plenty to keep me busy and content. I enjoy decorating, renovating (as time and budget allow), gardening, reading, creating, and blogging.
I hope to inspire you with simple farm living as we renovate and decorate our wonky farmhouse; with recipes and projects, and thrift store finds.
So, come on up on my front porch and make yourself comfortable as I offer you a cup of tea and some of Brian’s homemade chocolate chip cookies and let’s chat for awhile.
- barn quilt
- Barn Quilt Trail
- bee hive
- bee keeping
- chicken keeping
- miniature pig
- Queen bee
- Sherwin Williams
- Valentine's Day
- vegetable gardening
Wisconsin State Bird – American Robin
Subscribe via Email
Around the farm . . .
Our Farmhouse Babies
Weather ForecastCurrently50°ClearTomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today. Windy with morning showers.Friday 10/19 20%High 52° / Low 38°ClearMainly clear. Lows overnight in the upper 30s.Saturday 10/20 40%High 41° / Low 26°Chance of RainShowers early with mainly sunny skies later in the day as drier air moves in on gusty breezes. High 41F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 40%. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.Sunday 10/21 0%High 48° / Low 32°ClearMainly sunny. High 48F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
Thank you for visiting
Monthly Archives: February 2018
For as long as I can remember, deep in the winter months and moving towards spring, I am subjected to the depths of despair. Also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder. SAD is a type of depression that comes and goes … Continue reading
I met Judith when she scheduled a session with me when I was a practicing Reiki Master and Spiritual Counselor. After about a year we came to the conclusion that we also wanted to be friends. And so our friendship … Continue reading
It’s a beautiful day today on the farm. The geese, ducks and chickens couldn’t get out of the coop fast enough. The goats are meandering around the front pasture, and the alpacas are doing the same in the back pasture. … Continue reading
Even on a cloudy day one can appreciate that the sun is still up there shining it’s warmth and light on the earth. I’m like a tulip that puts herself to bed in the waning daylight hours, reawakening at morning’s … Continue reading
It always brings a smile to my face when I head out on a cold winter morning, hands full with baking pans full of hot oatmeal and salad greens, to let the chickens, ducks and geese out of the coop. … Continue reading
My husband thinks that Valentine’s Day is just another day for the flower, chocolate and card companies to rake in cash. I wonder if that’s why Saint Valentine was martyred? His wife didn’t appreciate his indifference. I don’t … Continue reading
After an already full morning of chores – feeding, watering and cleaning up after 48 chickens, 13 ducks and two geese; feeding, watering and cleaning up after five rabbits; filling all the bird and suet feeders around the farm; and … Continue reading